[Repost from January 3, 2017]
Winter is coming. This is not just a quote from Game a thrones, this is the real deal! So, I suggest you start planning your vacation for what I like to call “depression season”. Depression seasons ends after new years and is over by around Easter when it starts to warm up. Some of you are lucky enough not to know how torturous negative temperatures are to endure. Like always, I question why I choose to live in the cold state of Minnesota (where it is currently -18 degrees Fahrenheit). But on the other hand I am fortunate enough to take plenty of vacations to keep my tan throughout the winter 🙂 Here are some of my recommendations of places to travel this winter based on the type of traveler you are:
1. Lifestyles of the rich and the famous: Hard Rock Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I have stayed at several all inclusive properties and none of them made me feel more like more of a baller than this one. (I’m not for the record). Here are several reasons why this may be the winter getaway for you:
- All rooms have a jacuzzi
- 24/7 rooom service – champage and pizza while in the hut tub? Yes please!
- A pool for everyone – families, adults only pool, a chill pool, a party pool, you name it!
- The ocean – it’s super blue and wavy
- Food to die for – hibachi, Brazilian steak house, Mexican, anything you can think of!
- Casino and disco on property
- Rock star memorabilia – they have Madonna’s actual limo on sight!
- Nightly entertainment – cultural dances, rock star performances, karaoke, etc.
2. The Adventurer: Costa Rica has every kind of adventure you can think of: Surfing, zip lining, white water rafting, you name it! Above is a video of my husband, Rob, zip lining in Rincon de la Vieja National Park. We went on a tour with my family that included zip lining, white water rafting or tubing, horse back riding, a mud bath and hot springs. This tour location is convenient if you’re staying in the Guanacaste area as it’s only about an hour away. Although I would recommend Monteverde or Arenal if you have the time to go further.
3. The Thrifty Traveler: San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua. Located in Central American, just a couple hours north from Liberia, Costa Rica is their friendly Neighbor, Nicaragua. In this small backpacker/beach town you can get an ocean view room for as cheap as $25 per night! Keep in mind this room may not be anything to write home amount. No AC, cold water, possibly a shared bathroom. You can get all these amenities if you’re willing to pay more. Get an ocean view breakfast for just $3. A bottle of rum? $4. Surfing? $10. Need I say more?
4. The Culture Enthusiast – Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. Catillo San Cristobal is a famous fort in old San Juan that is worth a visit. This fort boasts a beautiful view of the ocean. Not too far is the city of Old San Juan. Enjoy a traditional dinner of Paella accompanied with traditional flamenco dancing.
5. The Beach Babe – St. Martin/Sint Maarten. This is one of my personal favorite islands in the Caribbean with some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. If you want to let it all out – and by all out – mean tanning those nooks and crannies that may not have seen the sun for a while (or never) head to Orient beach – also known as the famous nude beach. Not into that? One of my favorite beaches is Maho beach. Here you can relax while getting a great view (and breeze) of incoming planes. Hold on to your top or it may just fly off!