Sepilok, Malaysia

Our last country we visited was Malaysia. We decided to go to the Island of Borneo in order to see some furry critters.

Walking right by us with a little snack

We got in around dinner time to our hotel. We were fortunate enough to meet a group of people around our age. We ended up having dinner together at the hotel, and going to orangutan sanctuary the next day. This sanctuary is one of only two places in the world where wild orangutans still live. It was only a 15 minute walk from our hotel. We arrived right at the first feeding time, and just missed a big orangutan. There were also other monkeys, but they were not as exciting to see as we have seen them before. The most exciting part was when we had an orangutan walk right past us on the path!

Sun Bear digging for lunch

They close the park for a couple of hours during the afternoon. Luckily just across the street is a Sun Bear Sanctuary! We were happy we got to see about 5 of them wandering around the forest. We talked to a worker and asked why one of the bears kept going in circles. He advised he was a rescued bear who used to be kept in a cage, so in his mind he keeps going around in circles thinking he is still in the cage. It was so sad to hear. He said some people keep bears because they believe it keeps the bad spirits away. We were happy to hear he was rescued among many other bears and being taken care of until he is ready to go back into the wild.

Don’t stick your tongue out at me!

After having some lunch we headed back to the Orangutan Sanctuary and went straight to the nursery area to watch the babies get fed. They were 1 to 3 years old and were quite entertaining to watch. They were swinging and playing all over the place.

The Probiscus Monkey

After we grabbed some cabs to the see the Probiscus monkeys. Boy, were they funny looking!

So cute!

Some silver haired monkeys decided to join, and were not shy to us humans. I noticed they were passing around the baby. When I asked the worker who the mom was he said the one breastfeeding (obviously), but he said they are passing around the baby to show him off – just like humans! lol

The tall trees of the rain forest

The next day we went to the rain forest just a 5 minute walk from our place. It was unbearably hot. We walked along the canopy. We came across some butterflies, birds and big trees – but nothing to exciting. At one point I practically jumped out of my pants when I heard something that sounded large rustling in the bushes. I was glad we didn’t come across something in that instance. After 2 hours of walking around and getting drenched in sweat we opted to go back to the room to shower and enjoy some AC.

The next morning we flew to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Read about our last stop before heading home next!

One thought on “Sepilok, Malaysia

Comments are closed.